The Top 5 Ipad Apps To Help Stimulate The Brain And Reduce Signs And Symptoms Of Alzheimers and Dementia
Technology is an ever more common staple for people of all ages. Ipads, tablets, smart phones and the like are inexpensive enough for us to have at least one, laying around our home. With this in mind, Ipads can be easily shared with our loved ones with Dementia or Alzheimer's Disease whether they live in home, or in a facility. We felt it was important to explore some of these applications, and decide which are Cre8ive Senior Solution's top 5 pics!
All of these apps are FREE of charge at the App Store - an important consideration for caregivers and family members alike. We encourage you to check these out, and see whether or not you think your loved one would benefit from these programs before use. Everyone is different, and our loved one's preferences are as unique as their fingerprints. A good idea would be to think back to the user's career, long term hobbies, accomplishments, and history and match that with the most stimulating apps.
As a best practice, this activity would be most beneficial for a caregiver or companion sit close to, and help the user engage fully with the application. Here are the 5 that Cre8ive Senior Solutions enjoyed the most for people with Alzheimers and Dementia!
1. Memory Matches 2 - Easy to use card matching game with pictures of words. Fun to play with self, or with a friend (or grandchild). Will provide tons of fun and engagement for individuals of mild to moderate levels. This reminds me of the board game "Memory" so many of us played as kids.
2. Pandora - This is free as long as you can handle a few commercials. Put in your loved one's favorite artist, and let Pandora create a playlist for you. Simple to use and will provide hours of endless entertainment. Music can enhance, and even change a negative mood to a more positive one - never underestimate the power of music!
3. Calm Meditation and Mindfulness for Relaxation - This is an excellent application for those individuals who suffer from anxiety and restlessness. Watch a calming beach or rain storm video, or listen to a 3 minute guided meditation. This can be utilized during sun downing or when your loved one is trying to lay down to sleep each night.
4. MindGames - Includes games such as attention training, basic math operations, memory enhancement and word recognition. Easy to navigate and there is quite a selection of games. This is fun for mild to moderate levels of cognitive functioning, and can be addicting!
5. YouTube - A helper can utilize YouTube to share with an individual, music, entertainment, instructional videos and more. YouTube is a endless array of videos on every topic imaginable! This site may need a guide to be more involved than with any of the other apps suggested. Focus on videos that encourage the most reminisce and opportunity to connect with the past!
Welcome to Cre8ive Senior Solutions! I'm Amanda Andrade and I'm a gerontologist, a teacher, and an innovator around all things "wellness." I absolutely love creating new and unique solutions geared toward happiness and engagement for those affected by Alzheimer's or related dementias. Working to solve the individualized and complex problems seniors, and their families face is what inspires me and renews my hope for the future. I hope you join me on this journey, and share your family stories along the way!